R Essential Skills
Date: Tuesday 29 June 2021
Instructor: Peter Smyth
This ‘R Essential Skills’ workshop is for any researcher who has data they want to analyse using the R programming language. No prior computational experience is required. This hands-on workshop provides an introduction to the R programming environment and demonstrates the use of the R language for performing basic data analysis.
On completion of this workshop, the participants will be able to;
- Install R and RStudio on their own machine
- Be familiar with the RStudio GUI layout
- Understand R Variables, data types and objects
- Understand the use of Vectors and Dataframes
- Understand how to get help and make use of R libraries
- Read datasets of different formats into the R environment
- Perform simple visualisations of data
After completion of this workshop, the participant will be in a position to create their own R environment and have confidence in using it to produce small effective R programs for a variety of simple data analysis tasks.
About the instructor
Peter Smyth is a Research Associate at the University of Manchester, based in the Cathie Marsh Institute. He has spent 35 years working in IT at various large and small commercial organisations before taking an MSc in Big Data Analytics at Sheffield Hallam University and moving into academia. In his previous roles, he used any convenient programming environment to hand to solve problems. Now he teaches a variety of programming languages to help others to do the same.
He is a qualified Data and Software Carpentry instructor.