Python Essential Skills
Date: 1 June 2021
Instructor: Peter Smyth
This ‘Essential Skills in Python’ workshop is for any researcher who has data they want to analyse using the Python programming language. No prior computational experience is required. This hands-on workshop provides an introduction to the Jupyter Python programming environment and demonstrates the use of the Python language for performing basic data analysis.
On completion of this workshop, the participants will be able to;
- Install Python and the Jupyter environment on their own machine
- Be familiar with the Jupyter Notebook environment
- Understand Python variables, data types, objects and simple programming constructs
- Understand how to get help and make use of 3rd party Python libraries like pandas
- Read csv based files into pandas dataframes
- Manipulate data within pandas dataframes
- Perform simple visualisations of data.
After completion of this workshop the participant will be in a position to create their own Python environment and have confidence in using it to produce small effective Python programs for a variety of simple data analysis tasks.
Python and the Jupyter environments are required. Instructions for installation will be provided to attendees one week before the start of the course.
About the instructor
Peter Smyth is a Research Associate at the University of Manchester, based in the Cathie Marsh Institute. He has spent 35 years working in IT at various large and small commercial organisations before taking an MSc in Big Data Analytics at Sheffield Hallam University and moving into academia. In his previous roles, he used any convenient programming environment to hand to solve problems. Now he teaches a variety of programming languages to help others to do the same.
He is a qualified Data and Software Carpentry instructor.